January 10, 2018

Tech Tools to Reach ELL Students



My "Aha" Moment

Over the last few months I have made many classroom observations. A short time ago, I was observing a teacher who had just recently gotten a student who was new to the country, a newcomer who spoke zero English. She was making accommodations for him in his studies, but something that stood out to me is when she mentioned her use of technology. Some of the assignments he had completed had been done so using the Google Translate extension where she allowed him to type his answers and then use translate to change it over to English. She had him type his papers in Spanish and then use the Google Translate extension to change it to English. She did not allow their language barrier as a means to keep this student from feeling success. She was able to meet him exactly where he was at and provide him with a simple tool like Google Translate. It was no more work for her and allowed her student to be successful with what he brought to the table.

In witnessing this type of forward thinking and technology usage in the classroom, a light bulb of sorts went off and it got me thinking. If 33% of our OKCPS student population is deemed an English Language Learner (ELL), then what other tech tools are teachers using to help their students? In order to answer that questions, I went on a quest to find some answers.

The Meeting

My first stop was to schedule a meeting with the ones who know our ELL students the best, Language and Cultural Services. I wanted to rack their brains to see what, if any tools are currently available and advertised for teachers to use in their classrooms. Their first suggestion was to check out their website. The LCS team has put together a list of Instructional Resources for both Elementary and Secondary. This would be a great place to start.

My biggest take away was that ELL students need a reduced linguistic load through application.
One website the team recommended was Newsela, because the user has the ability to simplify or increase the rigor of a text over the same topic, allowing for differentiation for every student.

What I Found

After my meeting I wanted to find other tech tools that could help ELL students be successful in a mainstream classroom, and I came across this blog. The blog describes 5 apps and extensions that will simplify, read, translate and define text to help ELL students learn. This was a great find.


Final Thoughts

All students deserve to feel success and what better way to make success come than by integrating tech tools. Integrating technology should be something we do each day and if the tools can help ELL students, I say go for it. My hope is that you are able to use something that I have shared with you and that your students are able to benefit in a positive way. 

Resources